Sunday, April 24, 2011

eau de parfum

... since my sister thinks eau de toilette "is weird" because it means "toilet water".

Remember my earlier post on how for the longest time I wasn't a fan of perfumes? Well, I love perfume commercials. Always have, always will. Not all of them, but the ones that have that a distinct feel about them ... as if they're set in some alternate universe similar to our own but where everyone's gorgeous and the men wear suits all the time and the women are dressed stylishly even if in casual or evening wear and none of them speak because they don't need to and everything about them and their lives is elegant and wonderful!

Sigh. So, some of my favourites, in no particular order (except for the first one ;)) ... Make sure to turn off the iPod on the right side menu!



1. Catherine Zeta-Jones, for "Arden Beauty" by Elizabeth Arden



If I could choose one perfume commercial to be my life, it would undoubtedly be this one.
I'd kill many people for her cream-coloured coat at the end.




2. Sophie Marceau, for Champs-Elysées by Guerlain



The most "eclectic" perfume commercial I like. And it isn't even that much, so goes to show what kind of style I like. lol




3. Maryna Linchuk, for Miss Dior Chérie by Christian Dior:



There are many levels of love I have for this commercial. I love how it's unexpectedly fresh, girly, fun, and cute for the average perfume ad while still setting it in the chic backdrop of Paris. The model is gorgeous, the filming was perfectly done by Sophia Coppola, and the finishing touch of using Brigitte Bardot's "Moi Je Joue" just completes it with a cherry on top.




4. Matthew McConaughey, for The One by Dolce & Gabbana



When I first saw this on TV I nearly fell over from MM's hotness. Holy sweet hotness, Batman.





5. Henry Cavill, for London by Dunhill



Slight bias because I'M GOING TO MARRY HENRY CAVILL AHHHHH. But, aside from that, I maintain that this was still a really well-shot, snazzy commercial. Very James Bond-esque.




Honourable Mentions:

Nicole Kidman, for Chanel No. 5 by Chanel:
The one everyone was talking about when it came out, and for good reason. Gorgeous.
Too long for a perfume commercial for my taste, though. And I wasn't personally a fan of the couple pairing.

Audrey Tautou, for Chanel No. 5 by Chanel:
This one I'm a bit unsatisfied with mostly because, as mentioned above, I don't like long perfume commercials. I think they should be short, sweet, and leave a lasting memory in that alone, not unlike when you get a brief whiff of a perfume in real life. I really like the premise for this one, but I think it was too drawn out, and that, again, the models were unsuitably matched. But that's just me. I think it would have made a gorgeous 30-second commercial but what can you do.

Scarlett Johansson, for The One by Dolce & Gabbana
I don't know what it is ... I like it but I don't love it. Scarlett Johansson (of whom I normally am not the biggest fan) was surprisingly impressive in these. She was evocative, nuanced, and sexy in a under-pronounced way (and subtlety really isn't her forte from what I've seen of her work), and I just liked the way she presented herself. But something about these commercials still lacked a little something that I still can't quite put my finger on.

I KNOW I'm forgetting more but if/when I remember them I'll add them later!

No comments:

Post a Comment