Thursday, March 10, 2011

A case of the blues

photo cred: Neutrality


I know I've said I love the colour pink, and I do, but my favourite colour ever is probably blue. Zooey Deschanel described it best, blue can convey so many different moods and emotions - it's the most malleable colour. And it's just SO pretty in almost any shade!



photo cred: Jin


I bring up blue today because I recently bought two blue products, almost totally by accident. Explanation following ...

I've never been a perfume girl. I thought, for the most part, they all smelled too heavy and thick. For the longest time in high school the only tolerable one I came across was Clinique's Happy because of it's fresh citrusy scent (which is one of my most favourite things to smell EVER ... I love the smell of freshly peeled oranges or lemons or grapefruit in the morning. And napalm ;)). But I had the chance to smell it again recently and it was very different than I remember, in a not-so-good way. With this, I had also kind of warmed up to the idea of investing in some real perfume for myself (which my mom, who is a firm believer in the philosophy that every woman needs a scent, was adamantly supportive of). So the other day I found myself in Sephora checking out the perfume section. I browsed for a good half hour, spritzing samples and wrinkling my nose (sometimes in disgust, sometimes in confusion, sometimes because I just sprayed too much and it tickled) while trying to find "my scent".


photo cred: CountryLiving


After awhile of searching I found one that I pretty much fell in love with. It smelled like summer, though something you could easily wear all year-round. It transported me to Europe, walking down the Mediterranean coast again, soaking up the sun with a light bouquet of wildflowers in my hand. I could smell the fresh seaside, hear the gulls overhead, and feel the splash of water by my feet. I finally found what I had been looking for. And guess what it was? None other than Dolce and Gabbana's Light Blue fragrance.




The bottle is elegantly and deceptively simple. The scent has many layers to it, described by D&G as having a
Top note with an invigorating Sicilian cedar that melds with the crisp vibrancy of apple and the guileless charm of bluebell to evoke the essence of a South Italian summer. The Heart note is the freshness of bamboo nestles amid a gloriously feminine bouquet of decadent jasmine and delicate white rose. All this lies on a Base note of redolent citron wood entwined with voluptuous amber and a suggestive caress of musk.

Sephora also describes it as
surprising and colored: the liveliness of Sicilian citron, the happiness of Granny Smith apple, the spontaneity of bluebells. Feminine and resolute: the intensity of jasmine, the freshness of bamboo, the charm of white rose. Deep and true: the character of cedarwood, the fullness of amber, the embrace of musk.
Suffice to say ... I adore it.




But I said I bought two blue products. The second was less extravagant and even more simple than my new bottle of perfume, but it gave me just as much joy, if not more. You see, I had bought THE cutest baby blue nail polish from The Face Shop a few years ago ...


not the right package, but pretty much zis one


Bar none, it was my favourite. I loved how it blended both a pastel-y shade with a vibrant and clear tone of blue. I bought - and used - it immediately. So you can imagine how upset I was when I eventually ran out just before I moved and could not for the life of me find the same colour elsewhere. I still haven't, unfortunately. BUT I did find one that got satisfactorily close enough to make me excited.




"Havana Dreams" from Sephora by OPI's collection. I internally squealed when I saw this colour on the display in the store and you can bet I got it as soon as I could. Unfortunately I've already applied nail polish recently that I'm fond of so I haven't applied my new indulgence yet, but I did on my sister and it looks so so pretty. I can't wait to try it on myself! One of these days I'm going to put both it, and the Light Blue perfume on with a blue outfit and just have a gloriously blue day! Paahahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment